Monthly Journal Writing – August Journal Prompts
Have you ever heard of a journal challenge? Journaling has so many different benefits and many counselors/therapists will encourage their clients to utilize a journal. Being an addictions counselor for over 25 years I have encouraged many people to start their healing process through the use of a journal. One of the issues that would arise is people often didn’t know where to start and would end up looking at a blank page. This is where journal prompts can help a person get started with the process of journaling.
What Are Journal Prompts?
Journal prompts are questions or statements that are designed to inspire you or offer you an idea of what to write about. They are a great way for you to start the journaling process. These self-awareness questions or statements are used as a guide when you are not sure what to write about. When used daily they help you develop the habit of journaling.
Supplies Needed For The August Journal Prompts
You will need a pen or pencil. I like using a variety of different colored pens and fine tip markers. You will also need a journal book — a notebook of any kind will also work. Lastly you will need a copy of the questions that you are going to be responding to.
August Journal Prompts
- List 10 things that you appreciate about yourself?
- Do you believe that you are responsible for your own happiness? Why or why not?
- Would you like to be proudest of your accomplishments or your character? Explain.
- What feels like a struggle at the moment?
- If possible would you live year round in your favorite season? Explain.
- What inspires you?
- Who can you encourage today? How can you do this?
- What do you miss about childhood?
- Are you self conscious in certain situations? If so, name a few.
- How do you treat people who can do nothing for you?
- Has anything bad ever happened to you that turned out to be for the best?
- Write about one thing that you look forward to everyday?
- How do you deal with your anger?
- If you had the means how would you address the problems of homelessness?
- How would you like people to describe you?
- Make a list of 5 goals that you have for yourself.
- Now go back to your goals and break them down into small steps.
- What would you most like to learn how to do on a computer?
- On a scale of 1-10 my physical health is at a ______. I believe this because_____?
- What was high school like for you?
- Describe a place where you felt the happiest.
- What would you do if you loved yourself unconditionally?
- In what ways do you depend on yourself?
- What one fear would you like to conquer?
- I am thankful for my family experience because_________.
- List 3 wonderful things you see and think when you look in the mirror.
- To me, success in life means _______.
- Something I really need to talk about today is______ ?
- Reflect on the last 28 days. List 15 things that you are grateful for.
- If I had to give this past month a title, I would call it_______. Explain.
- Something that I am looking forward to in the next month is__________.
An additional component to journaling that I encourage my clients to do is to end each journal entry with a statement of gratitude. I have been practicing this in my personal journal for over 25 years now and it has made a dramatic positive effect on my life. When I focus my thoughts on what it is that I am grateful for in my life I tend to live my life looking for things that I am grateful for. Even in my hardest days I have been able to find gratitude. It has been such a blessing for my physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health. You can find additional gratitude exercises here — 9 Gratitude Activities.
I want to encourage you to participate in this challenge. It doesn’t require a lot of time. Try and commit 5-10 minutes a day to reflect and respond to the questions being asked. There are no right or wrong answers. This exercise is for you and it never has to be shared with anyone – unless you choose to share it.
Additional Journal Prompts Plans
Here are more journal prompt plans:
Are you interested in learning more about enriching your mental health by the process of journaling?
Are you participating in the August journal prompts challenge? Do you regularly journal? What have you found as a benefit (s) to journaling in your own life? I would love to hear from you.
Be blessed 💞💞💞
Did you enjoy this post? If so, please share it with your friends on your social media 💞💞💞